12 September 2012

Extensions Exploration

Given that I have touched the topic of Chrome extensions, I'll write about it a bit more. 

Already a while ago I was exploring the extensions available for Chrome and added a few, but not many survived the test of time (being deleted or non used at all). The list of alternatives is too big to be able to give a full account of what is useful or interesting, but partially trusting in the collective choices and rating of people makes things a bit easier.

Just recently I decided I was tired of the excesive advertisement placement, in particular those with movements, sounds, flash based, etc. An ugly example could be the two biggest newsletters in Chile, but I'm sure there are many others. 

Even when I believe that ads are a decent way to get revenue, there are limits to the kind/style of ads I'm willing to be bothered with. So, finally after years of avoiding it I installed AdBlock and now I'm much happier when wandering around the Internet. Still I have exceptions in place for those sites I know and value and don't have annoying amounts of annoying ads.

What I do have is an essential list of extensions I install every time in either Firefox or Chrome.
  • Stumbleupon: This is an Internet Black Hole! Although for this I use Firefox because the Chrome extension has been giving me some issues.
  • Evernote: I use it basically as some sort of advanced bookmarking for research porpuses and note taking.
  • AdBlockPlus: Well, already sorta explained. It could be complemented with NoScript (or something of the like) to remove other annoyances and also reduce the memory/cpu footprint of the browsers.
I should also look for some sort of privacity or something regaring cookies and tracking coming from sites like Amazon, Facebook and others, but for now I use the private mode in Chrome for that kind of sites.

UPDATE: I found this article at Lifehacker related to Chrome and privacity.

1 comment:

B. said...

Good to know, will start navigating in privacy when using Chrome. ;)

(p.s. dammit, I never get the captions right to prove I'm not a robot. Usually takes me like 6 tries before I get comments posted. :3)